[WSBAPT] Health care directive/hydration

John J. Sullivan, Esq. sullaw at comcast.net
Wed Apr 22 11:54:56 PDT 2020

Adrienne:

Although I was once nationally certified as an EMT, I don't pretend to be a
medical professional. I'm not aware of a method of artificial hydration
other than intravenous, and that's what I reference in my DTPs.

As far as whether to choose it or not, I will tell you a story.

I noticed after a while that none of my physician clients were declining
artificial hydration. I asked one of them once why. He told me that in coma
and end of life situations we simply do not know whether the patient feels
pain or not, but that if patients can feel it dehydration is an
excruciatingly painful way to go. Also, in a coma/end of life circumstance,
unlike you and I walking around who would die after three days or so without
water, the body reabsorbs waste fluids and the process of dying can extend
for 2 to 3 weeks.

Contrary, I once had the unhappy job of being a client's last resort as
health care AIF - I had to consent to the withdrawal of "life sustaining
treatment." I asked the ICU doctor the same question. She answered that when
the body gets to the end, endorphins kick in and we don't feel anything.

So . take your chances. An opinion is above my pay grade.

John J. Sullivan