[WSBAPT] Question about will signed in AZ for WA resident

Karl Flaccus Karl at flaccuslaw.com
Sun Apr 19 16:06:08 PDT 2020

I am not an Arizona practitioner, but we had an case not long ago where a Washington resident, when visiting friends in Arizona, signed a homemade will using one of the main beneficiaries as a witness, and no notary was at the signing.   Under Arizona law, a testamentary beneficiary can serve as a witness to the will with no negative consequences.  The logical jurisdiction for probate was Washington where the deceased lived and owned real property.  We thought about opening probate here and getting a Washington court to recognize that the signing was valid in Arizona and therefore should be valid here, but, another factor was that there were unhappy, excluded family members who received nothing under the will.  So we opted to first open the probate in Arizona using Az counsel, getting validity of the homemade will established there first.  Then, after waiting four months or so, we opened an ancillary probate in Washington.

The excluded beneficiaries considered challenging (we were told) the probate in Arizona, but they did not, nor did they challenge the Washington probate, although on what grounds they could have I do not know.

Worked like a charm.

Karl

FLACCUS LAW
7010 35th Ave. N.E.
Seattle, Washington  98115
206 523-0297

Information in this e-mail message is privileged, confidential, and intended only for the use of the recipient named. If you received this in error, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited - please notify us by telephone immediately at (206) 523-0297, and delete the original message. Thank you.