[WSBAPT] [ADV] Re: Excise Tax on Easement

Martin msilver at wolfenet.com
Mon Apr 13 14:12:25 PDT 2020

So, 7,550 of lawyer effort to save 69?

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com On Behalf Of Matt Yates
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 1:49 PM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] [ADV] Re: Excise Tax on Easement

It looks like John had the “last word” so I am replying here with Scott’s ultimate resolution.  We enjoyed the lively and thoughtful discussion and valued the perspectives and input.

Scott says as follows:

Thank you for your responses.  I called the Dept of Revenue and I explained the fact pattern and they quoted me:

WAC 458-61A-111

Easements, development rights, water rights, and air rights.

(1) Easements. The real estate excise tax applies to the conveyance of an easement for the use of real property in return for valuable consideration. The real estate excise tax affidavit is required only if the transfer is taxable.

The DOR rep said since there is no consideration, there is no tax owed.  I again asked whether the mutual granting of use of the other party's side of the easement would be considered 'consideration,' and she told me no, not in this this circumstance.  She also told me if the County becomes a stickler and will not record without a Tax Affidavit, to put zeros in the sale value tab and put the above WAC section in the exemption tab and to state 'no consideration given' in the explanation tab.  So that is what I will do.

In doing the math, it would only be a $69 excise tax if we value each half of the easement at $2,000 - totaling $4,000.  So, even if we had to pay the tax, it would be a small amount.

Again, thanks for the great discussion.

--Scott