[WSBAPT] Excise Tax on Easement

John J. Sullivan, Esq. sullaw at comcast.net
Sat Apr 11 01:36:32 PDT 2020

Matt and Bryce:

How is it not taxable?? There is valuable consideration being paid by both
fee owner. Up to now they've been tolerating trespass by each other. Now
they're going to formalize the arrangement and grant each other enforceable
rights to trespass.  It's not adverse possession, since it's been with
permission. But for the mutuality there would be a cash payment by the
recipient.

Sorry, but I think you get an appraiser to value each easement grant. I'm
not a dirt attorney, so I can't tell you whether the neighbors record one
easement that applies to both parcels, or separate ones from each side, but
either way the value is the same. In the case of a single recording the
consideration is combined and presumably the tax is split. In the case of
separate recordings, they each pay there respective shares of the overall
value - assuming the easement extends equally into parcels of equal value.

You could go for a letter ruling, but I'm not sure what argument you would
have for exemption. There's definitely consideration being exchanged between
the parties.

Unless . and this is a half-baked thought . you take the position the
easement existed at the time the current owners took title (if supported by
the facts) and you can get the prior owners to rerecord the prior deeds,
with the "easement" recited in the deed, and claim exemption under WAC
458-61A-217. But that's really a half-baked idea. The dirt attorneys would
have to opine on whether the "easement" existed at the time of the prior
conveyance and should have been included in the old deeds. I think that's
the only way this would pass muster.

It's late. If I'm way off base, let me know.

John J. Sullivan