[WSBAPT] TOD alternate beneficiary?

Mike Winslow mike at winslegal.com
Thu Apr 9 09:17:48 PDT 2020

The author of the article, Al Falk, has been an active member of the RPPT
committee and is a past chair of the WSBA Tax committee.           In
addition, if memory serves, Al worked on the bill with the legislature on
behalf of WSBA. That is why he was asked to write on this topic for the
Newsletter.
RCW  <http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=64.80.100> 64.80.100
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, or in RCW
<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.07.010> 11.07.010, and
<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.05A.030> 11.05A.030, on the
death of the transferor, the following rules apply to property that is the
subject of a transfer on death deed and owned by the transferor at death:
(a) Subject to (b) of this subsection, the interest in the property is
transferred to the designated beneficiary in accordance with the deed.
(b) The interest of a designated beneficiary is contingent on the designated
beneficiary surviving the transferor. The interest of a designated
beneficiary that fails to survive the transferor lapses.
(c) Subject to (d) of this subsection, concurrent interests are transferred
to the beneficiaries in equal and undivided shares with no right of
survivorship.
(d) If the transferor has identified two or more designated beneficiaries to
receive concurrent interests in the property, the share of one which lapses
or fails for any reason is transferred to the other, or to the others in
proportion to the interest of each in the remaining part of the property
held concurrently.

The code says that if the transferee predeceases Grantor, then the transfer
lapses as to the deceased transferee. But with multiple transferees, the
interest passes to the survivors of the group of transferees.
Nothing in this code says that you cannot not name alternate, contingent
beneficiaries. I have heard Al speak on this issue and he has always taken
the position that multiple contingent beneficiaries are permitted under the
code.

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com

This message is from an attorney, so it's confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, it's too late to stop reading this message, but you may
not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.