[WSBAPT] Parent arrives with immigrant visa - Need help with green card, SSN & health insurance questions

Neli Espe, J.D. - Olympic Legal neli at olympiclegal.com
Thu Apr 2 11:09:56 PDT 2020

Dear list mates,

After a long process, my 84-year old father arrived a week ago from Bulgaria with immigrant visa, IR-5, (after approval of I-130).

I am trying to find out how I can proceed

  *   with immigration to get his green card (I-485?),
  *   with obtaining social security number, and
  *   with health insurance.

I have done a lot of research online, but hope to be able to consult with someone who has dealt with these issues and get some pointers.

I filled out an application at Washington Healthplanfinder, but cannot complete it because he has no SSN yet. I cannot even get to a quote for any private insurance and a heath insurance broker I engaged is not getting anywhere either.

A paid consultation? A few minutes of your time? An email with pointers on any of these questions?

I could use your help right now.

Thank you,

Neli Espe
Olympic Legal