[WSBAPT] Providing Client with word version of draft demand letters/estate planning documents

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Tue Sep 24 17:03:32 PDT 2019

Thanks for sharing!

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> On Behalf Of Cyrus Field
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 4:52 PM
To: jeff at bellanddavispllc.com; 'WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv' <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Providing Client with word version of draft demand letters/estate planning documents

I spoke with an attorney with the WSBA Ethics Hotline about the issue of turning over “word” versions of documents per former client’s demand. I was told it was an “interesting” issue  that she had not specifically come across-she offered the option of requesting an advisory opinion but said it takes a fair amount of time to get a response. Nevertheless, she noted that RPC 1.16 required that on termination of employment the attorney give the client all documents in file to which they were entitled, should they so desire, which obviously included original documents and drafts. However, she did not believe that included “word” versions. In fact, giving up such might inadvertently include information indicating the attorney drafted the documents or other metadata that might be privileged, much less helping facilitate client to do something they don’t fully understand. As a result, I’m comfortable telling former client I can’t and won’t give up “word” versions of the documents and he should take other immediate action to make sure his estate plan meets his current needs. Thanks all for the discussion, Cy

Cyrus W. Field, Attorney at Law (admitted in Washington and Oregon)
phone: 360-472-1223 Mail: POB 367, Shaw Island, WA 98286 Office: 640 Mullis St. Friday Harbor, WA
The information contained in this e-mail message, including attachments, may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you think you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender at cyfield at rockisland.com<mailto:cyfield at rockisland.com> and destroy or delete the original and any copies.

FWIW, I just left a message with WSBA ethics hotline on this specific issue. Also reviewed RPC 1.15A(f), regarding safeguarding/returning client’s property and comment 5. Comment says rule applies to “original Wills”, which makes sense. By negative implication, I would argue it doesn’t apply to word versions. But we’ll see what the Bar says. More later …
Cyrus W. Field, Attorney at Law (admitted in Washington and Oregon)
phone: 360-472-1223 Mail: POB 367, Shaw Island, WA 98286 Office: 640 Mullis St. Friday Harbor, WA
The information contained in this e-mail message, including attachments, may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you think you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender at cyfield at rockisland.com<mailto:cyfield at rockisland.com> and destroy or delete the original and any copies.

I can’t believe I just had this issue come up moments ago for the first time in nearly 30 years of practice (former client wants to make radical changes to EP, many potential red flags, likely requiring several home visits and objecting to what I thought was very reasonable mid 3 figure quote). I am extremely reluctant to give up word docs but neither do I want to commit some ethical violation. I am going to call the ethics hotline and will report back. Cy