[WSBAPT] Refugee from 1973, told to produce marriage certificate

Jane Bitz jbitz at whc-attorneys.com
Mon Sep 23 17:02:47 PDT 2019

Brent:

I had a client who was trying to establish her marriage that took place over 60 years before in Boston. Her husband was on his way to serve in WWII. There were a series of events (churches closed, records burned, etc.) that resulted in her inability to obtain a certified copy of their marriage certificate. We were able to show their wedding album, a newspaper clipping with the date & info about the wedding, documentation of their 50th wedding anniversary party with cards & letters (one of which was from their best man with a written recollection of the day of the wedding, he had since passed away) and her wedding band (the date of their wedding and their initials were inscribed inside). All of this evidence was used to show she had been married for over 60 years to her now deceased husband. It worked.

I know that your client’s circumstances are quite different, but if they have anniversary cards or if they celebrated and have photos of an Anniversary party (better if it was listed in a newspaper or church bulletin), any deed showing them as husband and wife, estate planning documents where he stated his name and said “I am married to [client name]”; their children’s birth certificates, even tax return copies “married, filing jointly” etc. All of this would help to substantiate that they were actually married, even if they don’t have the “official paperwork”.

Hope this helps.
Jane.

Jane G. Bitz
Of Counsel