[WSBAPT] Immigration/Visa Assistance Referral

Doris Eslinger doris at eslingerlawoffice.com
Mon Sep 9 20:08:39 PDT 2019

I used to practice immigration law up until a year ago and there’s not much an attorney in the US can help in this situation.   The MIL needs a visitor’s visa (non-immigrant visa) which process takes place in the US embassy/consulate at the MIL’s home country. The presumption for a visitor’s visa is that the applicant intends to stay in the US after the visit so the applicant has the burden to overcome that presumption by establishing strong connection to the home country (e.g. a good job, family member staying behind, financial assets in the home country not easily liquidated, etc.).   Having a child who is a permanent resident doesn’t help her case at all.     US embassies are under the State Department and they operate very differently than USCIS (US Citizen & Immigration Services).  With the USCIS, an alien has a right to bring an attorney to an interview, etc.  At the embassy, the applicant may not bring an attorney to the interview.  Unfortunately citizens from certain countries have a much lower approval rate than other countries (because many did not return to their home after their visits).  I was able to provide letters for a couple relatives to help them with their visitor’s visas by providing my opinion that the applicants will return after their visits, supported by evidence.  Both relatives returned home after their visits as I knew they would.

Regards,

Doris Eslinger
Attorney at Law
Eslinger Law Office, PLLC
2200 112th Ave NE | Suite 200 | Bellevue, WA 98004 | Phone: (425) 451-3237 |

This message and its attachements are intended only for the addressee.  Please do not forward this message to others without permission.  The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential, and protected by the attorney-client or attorney work product privileges.  Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, disclosure or use of such information is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by return e-mail or you may call our office at (425) 451-3237. Nothing in this message should be interpreted as a digital or electronic signature that can be used to authenticate a contract or other legal document.