[WSBAPT] PR duty as to Will beneficiary on State assistance

Dewey Weddle dwweddle at msn.com
Mon Sep 9 15:45:05 PDT 2019

Michael,

I do not think the PR has such a duty.  Is the beneficiary under the age of majority or suffer from a mentally incapacitating disability?  If so, perhaps a GAL should be appointed for the beneficiary.  I have served as a GAL for incapacitated beneficiaries, and in that role I have petitioned the Court for the establishment of Special Needs Trusts for those beneficiaries.

As to whether the money vested in the beneficiary upon the father's death, I would think not, because at the end of the day all of the assets of the estate could be consumed in paying off creditors or making distributions to other beneficiaries who had superior right to estate assets.  If the money automatically vested, it seems to me that the beneficiary would have superior right to creditors and all other beneficiaries, and could sue the PR for not giving him or her the vested money.  That said, I would research it if it became an issue.

Best regards,

Dewey ​​

Law Office of Dewey W. Weddle, PLLC

909 7th Street