[WSBAPT] Medical assistance lien and surviving spouse

Jennifer Johnson jmhanigan at cni.net
Wed Nov 27 09:27:19 PST 2019

Good morning all,

I’d like to have someone check my thinking on a medical assistance issue:

In 2011, PC’s mom passed away.  Mom had previously inherited real estate that she and her husband lived in.  Mom owned it as her separate property.

In 2012, DSHS sent husband a notice of intent to file lien in the amount of $162,641.37, with the section highlighted that enforcement would be delayed as long as spouse survived.

A few days after receiving the notice of intent, husband completed a refinance of the mortgage and transferred the property to himself as his sole property by quit claim deed.  Mom’s estate was not probated.

Husband has recently passed away and his heirs found the notice of intent in his paperwork.  They stand to inherit the property and don’t want to probate (naturally).  The amount stated in the lien is more than the current assessed value of the real estate.

I’m thinking that the lien needs to be dealt with through probate.  It is my understanding that a homestead exemption is not available in this situation, but that we could try to negotiate with DSHS.

Am I missing anything?

Thank you in advance for your guidance,

Jennifer

Jennifer M. Johnson

Attorney

Hanigan Law Office, PS

PO Box 39 - 68 Main Street

Cathlamet, WA 98612

(360) 795-3494

(360) 795-3001 (f)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  THIS EMAIL IS INTENDED TO BE A CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED ATTORNEY-CLIENT COMMUNICATION.  IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS EMAIL, PLEASE DO NOT READ OR PRINT IT.  This transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or duplication of this transmission by someone other than the intended addressee or its designated agent is strictly prohibited.  If your receipt of this transmission is in error, please notify the sender immediately by calling 360.795.3494, or by reply to this transmission, and then permanently delete the message.

DISCLAIMER NOTICE:  Email communication on the internet is NOT secure.  There is a risk that this communication may be intercepted illegally, waiving any implied or explicit attorney-client or work-product privileges.