[WSBAPT] OFR lien recovery

Candace Wilkerson cwilkerson at wongfleming.com
Wed Nov 20 15:16:13 PST 2019

Not in WA.  However, when I was in Idaho there was some discussion of this, because a lot of states (including CA) do have laws that could hold children responsible for paying for their parents' care.  They are called "filial responsibility laws," and I just looked up the following article:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/broke-parents-medical-debts/

In PA, the court actually found an adult child liable for $93,000 of his mother's nursing home debt!  At least according to the article.

One other thing: I advise my adult children clients to be careful about filling out forms (such as medical, nursing home, etc.) asking for the "responsible party."  I would imagine, although I haven't actually litigated it, that if an adult child acting as a fiduciary for a parent signs such a form, the entity might be able to hold the child responsible.  I always tell them only to fill it out as "[Name] as attorney-in-fact, guardian, etc."

Does anyone have any experience with the "responsible party" becoming the adult child from signing such a thing?

Candace Wilkerson