[WSBAPT] Need advice on guardianship matter

Candace Wilkerson cwilkerson at wongfleming.com
Fri Nov 15 15:59:20 PST 2019

Hello Listmates:

I am dealing with a guardianship matter that has just begun (I was retained yesterday).  My client is the guardianship petitioner.  However, the AIP is at immediate risk of being taken out of the state by a relative who is trying to get his assets.  I need to take action before next Thursday to avoid this risk (this is the date the relative is planning to take him out of state).  The appointed GAL is not an attorney, and apparently not available for me to speak with.

I think I need to file a Petition for Vulnerable Adult Protection Order to get this in front of the court.  Are there any Title 11 GALs/guardianship attorneys out there who might be able to discuss this with me (by email is fine) asap?  I have done one VAPO in my career, and am not absolutely sure this is the best course of action.

Thanks in advance.

Candace Wilkerson