[WSBAPT] Does Washington Law Treat as Predeceased an Ex-Spouse who is a Named Beneficiary of an Irrevocable Inter-Vivos Trust?

Eric Reutter reutter at lasher.com
Tue May 28 16:53:24 PDT 2019

Hi listmates,

Hypothetical facts:
-In Year 1, a trustor Jane Doe creates an irrevocable trust. The trust provides that, after Jane's death, the trust assets are to be held in trust for her spouse's John Doe's benefit, and then, after John's death, distributed the children. The trustor, Jane Doe, did not retain any control over the trust and is not a beneficiary of the trust. The trust is not a grantor trust for income tax purposes. The trust document does not have any language contemplating for a divorce (i.e. no provision that indicates a divorce will remove John Doe as a beneficiary).
-In Year 5, the trustor Jane Doe divorces John Doe.

The legal question: Without an express provision in the trust document contemplating a divorce, does Washington law, specifically RCW 11.07.010, apply to treat the ex-spouse beneficiary John Doe as being predeceased for purpose of the irrevocable trust?

My initial conclusion: No, John Doe remains a beneficiary of the irrevocable trust, as RCW 11.07.010 (marriage dissolution's effect on nonprobate assets) seems to be limited in scope to only those assets in which Jane Doe held some form of "beneficial ownership." This is based on my reading of RCW 11.02.005(10), which defines a nonprobate asset as "those rights and interests of a person having beneficial ownership of an asset that pass on the person's death under a written instrument or arrangement other than the person's will." Additionally, RCW 11.07.010(1) states that this section applies to nonprobate assets "held at the time [of divorce]."

In other words, my first reading of this statute is that the definition of a nonprobate asset does not encompass the irrevocable trust I described above, due to the fact that (i) Jane Doe does not have a beneficial ownership in the trust, and (ii) Jane did not hold this property at her time of divorce.

Not having found any resources directly on this issue, however, I would be very curious if anyone has dealt with this fact pattern before, or researched this issue. On one hand, I think my reading of the statute may be too literal, as it seems like an odd policy result for the ex-spouse to remain as a beneficiary. On the other hand, I can see the policy argument that irrevocable trusts are just that - irrevocable, and therefore not affected by WA dissolution statutes.

As always, any insight is much appreciated.

Eric Reutter
Attorney
DIRECT 206-332-7553
[cid:image001.gif at 01D51575.DC373460]
601 UNION STREET    SUITE 2600   SEATTLE WA 98101
FAX 206-340-2563    WWW.LASHER.COM<http://WWW.LASHER.COM>
Click here to view my online bio

WE MAKE LAW MAKE SENSE.(r)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and any attachments may contain confidential or attorney-client protected information that may not be further distributed by any means without permission of the sender.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are not permitted to read its content and that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution or use of any of the information is prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the message and its attachments without saving in any manner