[WSBAPT] Clearing title on sale with Transfer on Death Deed

Nicholas Pleasants nick at pleasantslaw.com
Thu May 16 17:26:23 PDT 2019

Thanks for the quick responses. To clarify, no Medicaid services were rendered, and there is no lien. Whenever you go to sell a decedent’s property, the Title Report usually has an exception for potential Medicaid lien for services provided to decedent. In my usual course of business, I would write back a letter that Notice to Creditors was sent to DSHS pursuant to RCW 11.40.020(1)(d) and no probate claim was filed. However, since there is no probate, there was no notice to DSHS.
I know that when there is a lien, I can call DSHS / Office of Financial Recovery and get a payoff amount. So I’ll try calling and see if they’ll give me a statement of no lien. I was just curious if others had dealt with this particular exception to title insurance in a non-probate situation, whether because title was vested using TODD, JTWROS, Community Property Agreement, etc.

Nicholas Pleasants
James Pleasants, P.C.
2300 130th Ave NE, Suite A-101
Bellevue, WA 98005-1755
(425) 615-7070 tel.
(425) 497-0799 fax
nick at pleasantslaw.com<mailto:nick at pleasantslaw.com>
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and is confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from your electronic files.