[WSBAPT] Probate Necessary because Ag. Dept. Requirements

Josh Grant jgrant at accima.com
Thu Mar 21 11:35:31 PDT 2019

List mates
I have a client whose husband died owning a community property interest in farm land.  Normally we would use a Lack of Probate Affidavit and avoid a probate.
The farm land is entered in programs with the US Department of Agriculture.  About 6 months ago I learned that the requirement of the Department is that the widow must produce a DEED, and they  would not honor an affidavit. My client has been told by Department staff that she has to come up with a Deed.   So my hunch is that nothing has changed and an otherwise unnecessary probate will need to be done to produce a PR Deed and thereby comply with the Ag. Department.  Anyone have recent experience?
thanks
Josh
Joshua F. Grant

P. O. Box 619