[WSBAPT] Easy commenting on HB 1788 abolishing the State Bar

Laurel Brown laurel.brown8385 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 16:31:49 PDT 2019

Thank you Eric,

I just submitted the response you so thoughtfully provided.  I worked at
WSBA when they had the first dues rollback around 2010, and do not agree
with another proposed rollback being quashed, but I fully agree with your
position that just eliminating such an established organization would
create serious crises.

Laurel

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 4:20 PM Eric Nelsen <Eric at sayrelawoffices.com>
wrote:

> All--
>

> My apologies for this cross-post but this affects every attorney and we
> really need to act. I personally have *not* made enough time to deal with
> the inside issues of the WSBA, but on a basic governance level I think it's
> insane to simply abolish an entity like the WSBA with so many active
> obligations and activities. Here is the comment I just sent to my state rep:
>

> Please OPPOSE HB 1788 abolishing the State Bar. Regardless of whether
> eliminating the Bar would be a good or bad idea, no long-established and
> active entity can be simply abolished without creating a financial and
> legal catastrophe. The Bar has employees and ongoing employee benefit
> obligations. It has leases and other ongoing financial commitments. It has
> assets to preserve, debts it owes. It is always organizing and conducting
> Continuing Legal Education courses, and scheduling and committing to events
> for months into the future.
>

> If the Bar is to be abolished, there must be an orderly process, perhaps
> like a dissolution and winding up of a business. A hasty and drastic
> "vanishing" of the Bar would subject the State to untold liability on the
> Bar's ongoing commitments. Please help our Legislature proceed with more
> deliberation. Thank you for all your work on the public's behalf as our
> representative.
>

> *A huge Thank you! to Carla Higginson* for making commenting easy by
> providing the link to make direct comment regarding the legislation, which
> I'm copying here:
>

> https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/bill//1788
> <https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/bill/1788>
>

> Sincerely,