[WSBAPT] Property Title

Felicia Value felicia at skagitprobate.com
Mon Mar 18 14:05:33 PDT 2019

Be wary when using disclaimers.  Examine each one individually. If mom
died intestate,  and PC's sisters have living descendants, the
disclaimer of a sister will send her interest to her descendants by
right of representation.  If a sister does not have living descendants,
the disclaimer of a sister will send her interest equally to all of
mom's living children,  and by right of representation to any deceased
children.

I tend to be conservative,  and it's difficult to take short cuts with
real estate even if you aren't conservative.   I'd tell PC that she must
petition the court to open an intestate probate; get the signed consent
of all sisters for PC to serve as PR with nonintervention powers and no
bond;  and do a TEDRA where all sisters agree in writing that PC gets
the house.  And CYA with lots of letters to sisters re: get your own
lawyer and consider tax aspects.

What PC is asking for is not simple,  and I would not underwrite her
wishful thinking that it is.

Signed,  Mean Lawyer.