[WSBAPT] TODD step-up?

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Mon Mar 4 10:13:21 PST 2019

Yes; the rule under 1014 is that if it is in one's gross estate, and is not and item of IRD, it gets a step up in basis and in WA (and other community property states) the whole gets a step up in basis.  Whether it gets a second step up in basis on the death of the beneficiary depends on if the spouse is the sole beneficiary, the type of trust and elections made.

Good luck,

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden