[WSBAPT] Adoption / name change referrals.

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Fri Jun 14 14:45:58 PDT 2019

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

.
                               June 14, 2019

Sherman,

It sounds like you are saying that your friends already adopted this
child from China?
It’s not clear if your client adopted an adult child or a minor child.
Ordinarily, a person’s name is changed during the adoption process –
whether the person is a child or an adult.

So, if they already adopted and never changed the child’s name,
presumably they were trying to maintain some of the child’s heritage
by keeping her birth name?

But, if the adoption already occurred and they are already  named as
the parents of this child, they don’t need an adoption lawyer to get a
passport or change the name on a passport.  They apply for a passport
just like anyone else – they fill out an application and provide the
necessary paperwork.  Same with name changes with the SS
Administration and / or on a passport.

If your friends actually completed an adoption and didn’t change the
child’s name during the adoption, they can Petition to change the
child’s name just like anyone else who named a child at birth and have
decided it just doesn’t fit/work for the child and now want to change
it.  This can be done in district court or superior court. It’s a
simple process.

But, to be honest, it seems like there is information missing from
your client’s request.  Adoption of foreign nationals (minors) must
comply with the requirements of the Hague Adoption Convention. These
are expensive complex proceedings and, again, unless your clients are
changing the child’s name as an afterthought, this is really something
that would have occurred during the adoption process.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101