[WSBAPT] Small estate matter

Kerry Richards krichards at lawgate.net
Tue Jun 4 15:14:13 PDT 2019

Dear Marvin:
I am not sure the case law is all that clear in establishing a surviving CIR partner as an intestate heir. In fact, I believe such a survivor would have to first establish there was a CIR and that could be somewhat difficult or problematic under the Deadman’s Statute. The particular asset may not have been established through earnings and accumulations during the CIR. If the account predates the beginning of the relationship it may be the decedent’s separate property. And just how would one establish the beginning date of the CIR under the prohibitions of the Deadman’s Statute. There may be innovative ways, but at this writing they are not apparent to me. Now, the survivor may be able to negotiate with the heirs at law under the Small Estate Affidavit to be the ultimate recipient of the accounts, but that would require some contact and negotiation.
Just my thoughts.
Yours Truly,

Kerry A. Richards, Attorney
[cid:image001.png at 01D31B65.31A26710]
The Law Offices of Michael W. Bugni & Associates, PLLC
11300 Roosevelt Way NE, Suite 300, Seattle, WA 98125
EMAIL: krichards at lawgate.net
TEL: 206-365-5500