[WSBAPT] Partition of Real Property

Peter D. Haroldson peter at torresharoldson.com
Thu Jul 18 12:00:11 PDT 2019

Shortly before passing, decedent deeded real property, consisting of a single family home on a couple acres, to her six children as tenants in common.

A few of the children are living on the property, paying taxes and utilities but no rent to the non-occupying tenants.  No mortgage on property.  The occupying tenants are unwilling to move, allow the other tenants access, or sell the property by agreement, so we are likely looking at a partition action.

Adding a twist, some of the occupying tenants may be allowing others to reside in the home.

Questions:

  1.  If any of the list members have experience with such an action, could I have a few moments of your time to discuss?
  2.  Any recommendations for individuals to nominate as referees in a partition action?
  3.  What happens if an owner or occupant won't quit the premises?  Can one incorporate an ejectment cause of action in a partition to clear the property of occupants?  It would seem yes, on equitable relief grounds, as to the occupants with an ownership interest, but less certain about other occupants with no ownership interest.
  4.  If so, should non-ownership occupant(s) "John Does" be named in the partition/ejectment complaint?

Thank you,

Peter D. Haroldson
Torres & Haroldson, PLLC
PO BOX 530
Maple Valley, WA 98038
Email: peter at torresharoldson.com<mailto:peter at torresharoldson.com>
Facebook: fb.me/torresharoldson<https://fb.me/torresharoldson>
Phone: 425.458.3170

**Please note, our office has moved to 22520 SE 218th Street, Maple Valley WA 98038. Our mailing address remains the same**

NOTICE: The contents of this message, including any attachments, may be protected by attorney-client privilege, the work product doctrine or other applicable legal protections.  If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify the sender and promptly delete the message. Thank you for your cooperation.
CLIENT ADVISORY:   If you have not received a Reply to an e-mail message within forty-eight hours, please call our office to ensure receipt of your message.
IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLAIMER:  To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, I inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax-related matter addressed herein.