[WSBAPT] Sept. Ppty. into Irrevocable Trust; contemplating divorce

Steve Brandli steve at brandlilaw.com
Tue Jul 16 08:58:01 PDT 2019

Strictly speaking, such a trust may not meet the goal.  A court can divide all separate property, even property in a trust going to the wife if its not a mere expectancy.

Why not just enter into a property agreement?  These are enforceable so long as they are either procedurally or substantively fair.  Procedural fairness requires a full disclosure of all property, a meaningful opportunity to consult with counsel, and a lack of undue pressure.  In Washington, a property agreement could even be substantively unfair so long as it is procedurally fair, although I recommend making it substantively fair.

              Steve