[WSBAPT] Transfer On Death Deeds Pierce County

Mike Winslow mike at winslegal.com
Fri Jul 5 17:51:58 PDT 2019

Happy Friday to those of you still in the office and happy Monday to those
just returning.

Here is one for the books:
Client's father recorded three Transfer on Death Deeds before he passed. All
adjoining parcels. Deeds prepared by an attorney in Pierce and assume there
was a good reason to do three deeds.
Father passed away and we prepared the necessary REETAs for processing the
change in ownership on the three parcels. We sent three REETAS since there
were three deeds.

We sent the death cert of father for recording to establish the validity of
the TODs.
Auditor demands that we record the Death Cert of Father three times because
there were three TODs. They contend every REETA must have its own recording
of Death Cert.

We also submitted a Lack of Probate Affidavit with attachment of CPA and
Death Cert of Dad's spouse because Mother's estate was not probated.
Daughter signed instead of father, as grantee. Treasurer wants signature of
Grantor on REETA for the LOPA and CPA, even though documents show Grantor
(Mom) is deceased.

I have 14 months to go to retirement. I might make it..
Any insights from those in Pierce would be appreciated.

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com

This message is from an attorney, so it's confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, it's too late to stop reading this message, but you may
not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.