[WSBAPT] motion to close estate and distribute funds

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Jul 3 14:15:57 PDT 2019

Hah! Actually, I was thinking about chiming in to say that publication is mandatory under the statute, but I think the consequences of failing to publish are no more than the same consequence if you fail to give direct notice to an heir: the person who didn't receive notice is deprived of due process and has an opportunity to re-open the matter if s/he was actually damaged by the lack of notice.

So, if you have mailed notice to all the interested parties that you know about, due process is satisfied as to them and the lack of publication is not a big deal in terms of risk. Your only risk is if there is someone you didn't mail notice to, whose interest is affected by the ruling at the hearing.

That said, it's still statutorily mandated to publish and better to just do it, and even start over and re-note the hearing to get timely publication done if you're partway through the process.

Insert long legal treatise here. :-) I have cases on the notice/due process issue as to persons entitled to notice by mail, but nothing directly on the publication requirement.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC