[WSBAPT] Lapse of specific bequest?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Jan 31 11:21:33 PST 2019

Delivery of a deed is sufficient to make it effective (between the parties to the deed, anyway) even without recording, that's correct--but Seller's delivery of the deed to escrow is a conditional delivery, not absolute. The delivery isn't complete until escrow closes, because the Buyer doesn't have an unconditional right to receive the deed until escrow performs the deed-for-money swap.

Recording is not necessary to make a deed effective, but does raise a presumption of delivery. I don't have the case cite handy for that..

But, there's a new exception to the rule that delivery is sufficient and recording isn't necessary--a TOD deed is not considered valid unless it is recorded prior to the death of the Grantor. RCW 64.80.060(3)<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=64.80&full=true#64.80.060>. I haven't found explicit case law yet on what the effect is if the TOD isn't recorded prior to death, but given the statute's mandatory language, I'd say a TOD deed that is unrecorded at time of death of the Grantor is void and totally ineffective, regardless of delivery.

Jeremy's situation is also a little different because the decedent was contractually bound to convey title, so the Estate was obligated to honor the contract even after death, and had no power to convey the property to the heir free of that obligation.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC