[WSBAPT] Administrator unable to obtain bond - has assets

Wickert Law wickertlaw at comcast.net
Sat Jan 26 13:56:19 PST 2019

I had a situation where the probate closed after a house was returned to the
bank. The bank sold the house 3 years later in a foreclosure sale that
resulted in a court deposit of a surplus cash ($45,000). In order to reopen
the probate, I asked the court to allow me to hold the surplus cash once
retrieved in my IOLTA account instead of getting a bond conditioned upon a
court order to approve distribution of the surplus cash from my IOTLA net of
my expenses and fees to the heirs. There were four heirs who agreed in
declarations of the proposal in lieu of a bond. The court agreed.  I
referred the court to the last line of RCW 11.28.185 that gave the court
discretion to allow for an alternative security and that my proposal was a
viable alternative since nothing could be distributed without court
approval. In my case, the administrator was a 20 year old college student.
He didn't have bad credit just no credit.

Very truly yours,

Maureen A. Wickert, Attorney at Law

14900 Interurban Avenue South, Suite 255

        Tukwila, WA 98168

       Phone: 206-859-5502

         Fax: 206-260-9005

      <http://www.wickertlawoffice.com/> www.wickertlawoffice.com

       wickertlaw at comcast.net

This electronic message contains information which may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. The information is intended for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be
aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of
this transmission is prohibited. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please notify me by telephone or by email
immediately.