[WSBAPT] Delegate Under 11.98.071

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Feb 27 09:37:31 PST 2019

I agree with your caution. "Ancillary Trustee" isn't a familiar term for anyone either, and unlike "Delegate" it might invite a third party to assume that the delegate is basically a co-Trustee.

I might be less concerned if the delegation was for a narrow scope, limited time, dealing with only one third party who can be fully informed about the limits of the delegate's authority, or in circumstances otherwise making it less likely that someone could mistake the "ancillary trustee" for the full trustee and so allow the ancillary trustee to take action beyond the scope of the delegation.

It's hard to guess without knowing what the delegation is for, but if a shorthand title is even really necessary, I think I would want something in it that expressly indicates a limited authority. Maybe "Limited Trustee Delegate" or "Trustee Delegate As To Investment Decisions" or whatever.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC