[WSBAPT] Short of a Guardianship

Jim Doran jim at doranlegal.com
Tue Feb 19 14:09:04 PST 2019

Hello Listmates:

The issue of incompetency and trouble at home with the wife, Sally, has
persisted for over a year now.  the husband, Bill, cannot take it any
longer.  The family tried to intervene and get Sally to voluntarily move to
an assisted living facility.  She just refuses to do so.

I have talked with Bill, the husband, about starting a guardianship
proceeding.  He has talked to Sally's doctors and one of them suggested
something, to Bill's recollection, short of a Guardianship, that would give
him the authority to place Sally in an assisted living facility even if
against her will.

I am not aware of any such process with that kind of authority.  Maybe
there is a process that I am unaware of or am overlooking.  Sally is not
going to move voluntarily.  Do you have any ideas short of a guardianship
that would give Bill the authority to move Sally into an assisted living
facility against her will?

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Jim Doran

James R. Doran