[WSBAPT] Survey Questions

Mike Winslow mike at winslegal.com
Thu Feb 7 16:25:41 PST 2019

Today the WSBA sent out a survey regarding a bifurcated bar, in light of
recent doings by the Supremes. The issue is how to support the sections like
RPPT if the bar association is bifurcated into essential and non-essential
functions.

The survey asks six questions about bifurcation, including how to fund it.
Question 5 asks if you would be willing to pay more dues to both the
mandatory Bar and the Section if bifurcation takes place. There was only a
"yes" or "no" option and this was the only question directed to supporting a
dues increase to support continued RPPT Section activities. Nothing about be
willing to pay more dues to support the RPPT Section, but limiting dues for
mandatory WSBA. So if one answers "yes" it will appear that you support dues
increases for both the voluntary Section and the mandatory bar.

Following completion of the survey, I contacted a member of the RPPT
Executive Committee to express my concern about the wording of the survey.
They replied that the Section had submitted a draft survey to the WSBA, but
then revised and resubmitted. Instead of sending out the revised survey,
which was intended to glean more detail and provide more options for
answers, the WSBA sent out the original unrevised survey. So even though the
survey says it is from "Executive Committee of RPPT", it was actually sent
out by the WSBA in the more limited form. My take from the response was that
the WSBA ignored the request of Executive Committee to use the revised
survey.

Just reporting the facts. Draw your own conclusions about what is going on
downtown at 1325 Fourth Ave., Suite 600, Seattle, WA 98101-2539.

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com

This message is from an attorney, so it's confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, it's too late to stop reading this message, but you may
not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.