[WSBAPT] Amendment of RLT by only one Trustor

Kristina devore kristina at devore-law.com
Thu Apr 18 17:43:44 PDT 2019

I have an estate planning client that would like to amend the ultimate distribution provisions of a revocable living trust that she and her husband created seven years ago.  The proposed changed distributions are for distributions after both Trustors are deceased, it does not affect distributions while either Trustor is living. The Husband now has dementia and is not able to execute any estate planning documents.  This is my first experience with a Trust that authorizes one of the Trustors to make amendments so I have a couple questions.

I read RCW 11.103.030 to allow amendment by one of the Trustors ONLY if the trust agreement specifically authorizes… “If a revocable trust is created or funded by more than one trustor and unless the trust agreement provides otherwise: (a) To the extent the trust consists of community property, the trust may be … amended only by joint action of both spouses…;”

The current document has the following provisions regarding amendment:

        ARTICLE III
“Upon the death or permanent incapacity of either of the Trustors, as the term incapacity is defined in Article VI hereunder, the surviving Trustor or the Trustor having the ability to exercise the capacity to amend or revoke this Trust agreement shall have the authority to amend or revoke the Agreement in whole or in part as the surviving Trustor or the Trustor having capacity if one Trustor is incapacitated deems appropriate.”

ARTICLE VI
Incapacitated Trustor is incapacitated as defined in Article VI, however, this Article also provides:

“Should either Trustor be incapacitated, then the other Trustor shall act as the agent for the marital community in exercising the rights reserved to the Trustors by Article III; provided, no amendment or direction concerning distributions shall impair the rights of the incapacitated Trustor.”

My questions are 1) Is my reading of the statute correct so that an amendment in this case by only one Trustor is authorized?  And 2) Would an amendment changing the ultimate beneficiaries be considered to “impair the rights of the incapacitated Trustor” such that it would not be permissible under the above Article VI limitations?

If anyone has any insight on amending in these circumstances I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
Kristina

Kristina S. DeVore | Attorney & Counselor at Law
KRISTINA DEVORE LAW FIRM, pllc | P.O. BOX 87625 | Vancouver, WA  98687
Phone: (360) 695-0535 |  Kristina at devore-law.com

This email message is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 19 USC Sections 2510-2521.  Unauthorized review or distribution of this email message is strictly prohibited.  This e-mail message is intended for the exclusive use of the person or persons to whom it is addressed.  This email message may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential. If you believe that you have received this message in error, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Do not disseminate this e-mail and destroy the original e-mail and any copies. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and destroy the original message.