[WSBAPT] Life Insurance Designation to Minor Son / Motion for Determination of Probate Asset?

Dalynne Singleton dalynne at glgmail.com
Tue Apr 9 10:13:24 PDT 2019

First, the argument that he signed the POA while the husband was incompetent seems to be your best argument and if supported by H's doctors, should invalidate anything signed.

Second, the changing of a beneficiary on life insurance policy:  After the passing of the WA Uniform Power of Attorney Act (RCW 11.125), my new POA form has a provision that the person signing the POA must initial when certain rights are being granted to the designated agent.  One of these is for changing of beneficiary designations.  I'm sure you have reviewed the POA signed but might take another look.  Here is what ours states and if not initialed, not valid for beneficiary designation changes:

Optional Specific Powers.  My spouse, while acting as my Attorney-in-Fact, may exercise all of the powers below. In addition to the general power provided above, I give my alternate Agent on the specific powers below, that I have identified by placing my initials on the line proceeding that power. The absence of my initials indicates that my alternate Agent shall not have the listed power.

_________      To create, amend, revoke or terminate an inter vivos trust;
_________      To make one or more gifts, consistent with RCW 11.125.390(3), in an amount per donee which exceed the annual dollar limits of the federal gift tax exclusion under internal revenue code section 2503(b), 26 U.S.C Sec. 2503(b), as amended;
_________      To create or change rights of survivorship;
_________      To create or change a beneficiary designation;
_________      To waive my right to be a beneficiary of a joint and survivor annuity, including a survivor benefit under retirement plan;...

Third, even if the above arguments fail, you indicate the wife needs the monies to support her son.  The monies in the blocked account could be set up to support the son's needs and a guardian ad litem should be used for this purpose and assist in determination of what the funds might be used for.

Dalynne Singleton

Gourley Law Group
Snohomish Escrow
The Exchange Connection
1002 10th Street / PO Box 1091
Snohomish, WA 98291

360.568.5065
360.329.4079
360.568.8092  fax
dalynne at glgmail.com<mailto:dalynne at glgmail.com>

LICENSED IN WASHINGTON AND OREGON
IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail message (and any attachments accompanying it) may contain confidential information, including information protected by attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  Delivery of this message to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended to waive any privilege or otherwise detract from the confidentiality of the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission, rather, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and its attachments, if any.