[WSBAPT] Fw: WSBA Update - wins and losses...

jacyphers at gmail.com jacyphers at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 14:54:39 PDT 2019

-------Original Message-------

From: Paul S
Date: 4/5/2019 2:47:47 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:,
Subject: WSBA Update - wins and losses...

Views are my own.
Feel free to share.
Email me at pswegle at gmail.com to get on my email list.

Happy Friday fellow WSBA Members!

In honor of the M's strong 7 and 1 start to the season, let's look at our
recent WSBA wins and losses scoreboard style:

Wins
New Interim Executive Director Terra Nevitt started on Monday this week.
Before accepting this role, Terra was the WSBA's Director Of Advancement &
Chief Development Officer. In that role she oversaw all of the WSBA's
programs that help lawyers be better lawyers. I have known Terra for a
couple years. She is smart, friendly, dedicated, transparent, and seemingly
non-political in discharging her duties. I believe she will be an
outstanding Interim Executive Director and a breath of fresh air for the
WSBA and its Members.
Please support Terra and give her space, respect and deference as she works
to steady the ship.
The Members of District 9 elected an outstanding individual to serve as
their Governor, Bryn Peterson. Congratulations Bryn!
The Members of the WSBA continue to have champions on the Washington Supreme
Court in Justice Mary Yu and Justice Steve Gonzalez. Show your appreciation
any way you can. Justice McCloud and Justice Owens also seem to be
consistent supporters of the WSBA and its Members, also much appreciated.
Certain WSBA Members have begun forming a political action committee and
also a non-profit organization, both of which will be focused in coming
election cycles on taking the Washington Supreme Court and the Washington
Legislature in a new direction reflecting greater respect for the interests
and good works of Washington's hardworking and dedicated attorneys. Our
recent collective abuse at the hands of arrogant WA political leaders is a
clear sign that we have not done enough to protect our rights and interests.
More about this in coming weeks as I learn more from these Members.
Losses
The legislation to kill the WSBA, ESHB 1788, continues to make progress
through the WA legislature.
This morning, Chief Justice Fairhurst emailed to confirm that the Court
voted by majority vote to "take no action" on two requests from the Board of
Governors. Our rejected requests were:
that the Court indicate whether or not it currently intends to keep the
Board of Governors in place following the effective date of the legislation,
and
that the Court support proposed, alternative legislation that does not
statutorily eliminate the Board of Governors and Member representation.
In District 10, our reform candidate, Vicki Parker, did not make the runoff
elections. I am waiting for more information from one of the two remaining
candidates to determine which, if either, to support. I understand that one
of them may be a pleasant surprise.
Other News
Supreme Court Structure Workgroup. The Sructure Workgroup, of which I am a
member, meets for a second time this Monday, April 8. The agenda is attached

Please pay attention to this process. Our goal must be to preserve and
protect the professional association aspects of the WSBA, including the
Sections. The regulatory side of the WSBA will be taken care of; the
professional side is far more at risk of getting the short end of the stick.
Only you can help prevent this.
Attend Monday's Structure Workgroup meeting:
in person at the WSBA
by conference call - 1 (866) 577-9294; PIN: 613585#
by webcast - https://www.wsba
org/Legal-Community/Committees-Boards-and-Other-Groups/bar-structure-work-gro

Here are links to video of the first Structure Workgroup meeting:
Welcome/Intro: https://link.videoplatform.limelight
com/media/?channelId=35d5d5f9f2944dc6987754628a64cbee&width=530&height=360&pl
yerForm=ca5c8e85cbdc43a8988859dd2580ad17&embedMode=html&htmlPlayerFilename=li
elightjs-player.js&autoplay=false&autoplayNextClip=true
My unavailing request to add ESHB 1788 to the agenda (begins at 6:43):
https://link.videoplatform.limelight
com/media/?channelId=35d5d5f9f2944dc6987754628a64cbee&width=530&height=360&pl
yerForm=ca5c8e85cbdc43a8988859dd2580ad17&embedMode=html&htmlPlayerFilename=li
elightjs-player.js&autoplay=false&autoplayNextClip=true
Related to these issues, the April 1, 2019 decision in Gruber et al v.
Oregon State Bar seemed to go well for the OR Bar.
On a quick read, it seems the Court (i) declined to find that Janus
overruled Keller, (ii) found that the plaintiffs had not fully availed
themselves of the Keller appeals processes with the Bar and (iii) made other
findings in favor of the OR Bar.
Here's the decision: https://www.documentcloud
org/documents/5792526-JUDGERUSSOONBARDUESCASE.html
Shenanigans directed toward overturning the Board's proper decision and
processes terminating the prior Executive Director continue like the
screeching antics of so many flying monkeys.
Most recently these include (i) a failing petition to reimpose the former ED
on the WSBA and (ii) a baseless lawsuit, Lincoln Beauregard v. WSBA, filed
by Steven Fogg of the Corr Cronin law firm - also to reimpose the former ED
on the WSBA.
These types of anti-democratic, politically-driven efforts are to be
expected in the waning days of a ruthless, entrenched, self-serving
political machine. Justice and common sense will prevail.
WSBA Members should think twice before ever sending any referrals to the
Corr Cronin firm given its role in this costly and counterproductive
nonsense, which is now wasting the Members' hard earned dues. As a former
friend of the firm, I am extremely disappointed.
Upcoming Board Meetings:
Special Meeting, Monday April 8 @4:00 - https://www.wsba
org/news-events/events-calendar/2019/04/08/default-calendar/board-of-governor
-special-meeting
Regular Meeting, May 16, 17 in Yakima - https://www.wsba
org/news-events/events-calendar/2019/05/16/default-calendar/board-of-governor
-meeting
Have a great weekend everyone. Go M's!

Paul Swegle
Governor, Dist. 7N
Immediate Past Chair, Corporate Counsel Section
Washington State Bar Association

Paul Swegle
General Counsel
(206) 300-7165

Startup GC Blog

Contract Drafting & Bear Spray - FieldGuide Podcast

Contract Drafting and Negotiation
"...Swegle provides a clear methodology

to understand and analyze business contracts
in this exceptionally useful book...."  - Kirkus Reviews