[WSBAPT] Joint Tenancy with almost Simultaneous Death

Hillary Dawn hdawn at vansiclen.com
Thu Apr 4 16:40:14 PDT 2019

Hi John:

You’re looking for Chapter 11.05A (the Uniform Simultaneous Death Act), specifically RCW 11.05A.020, which requires 120 hours of survival. Otherwise each person is deemed to have predeceased the other. There are exceptions which I would encourage you to read, but it sounds to me from your fact pattern you are looking at that statute and RCW 11.05A.040 which describes distribution between co-owners when there is simultaneous death (basically one owner’s estate gets half and the others gets the other half):

[cid:image007.jpg at 01D4EB05.13376BB0]

Hillary L. Dawn
[cid:image004.jpg at 01D41F45.E4AF3880]
Hillary L. Dawn
Attorney at Law
721 45th Street N.E.
Auburn, WA 98002
hdawn at vansiclen.com<mailto:hdawn at vansiclen.com>
Office:   253-859-8899

Visit us on the web:  www.vansiclen.com<http://www.vansiclen.com/>

Like us on: [cid:image005.jpg at 01D41F45.E4AF3880]    facebook.com/VSSF.law<https://www.facebook.com/VSSF.law>

NOTICE: The contents of this message, including any attachments, may be protected by attorney-client privilege, the work product doctrine or other applicable legal protections.  If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify the sender and promptly delete the message. Thank you for your cooperation.
CLIENT ADVISORY:  A spam filter is in use in our IT system.  If you have not received a Reply to an e-mail message within forty-eight hours, please call or leave a voice mail message with the receptionist at 253.859.8899.
IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLAIMER:  To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, I inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax-related matter addressed herein.