[WSBAPT] RLT question (David King)

Mike Winslow mike at winslegal.com
Tue Sep 25 16:15:46 PDT 2018

Agree with John. If the corporation shares or the LLC units are owned by H and W in their own names, then at death the transfer of these assets would need to be accomplished by probate, which is likely to be way more expensive than making a transfer of the shares and units to ownership by them "as trustees". If these assets are transferred to ownership under the trust by your clients, make sure the transfer on the certificates or assignment of units reads similar to the following:
"John Smith and Elsie Smith, Trustees of the Smith Revocable Living Trust U/A dated June 29, 2011."
An "assignment of units without certificate" is the most likely approach to transfer of the LLC units (assuming there are no paper certificates for the issued units).
 The corporation ownership change is a simple stock transfer procedure.

The Trustees need to take title as "trustees" for  the transfer to be effective and valid.

By changing the ownership to the trustees of the trust, you have "funded" the trust with assets which are now controlled by the trustees under the terms of the trust. When the trustees die, the successor trustees take over without need of a probate and are able to distribute assets without the need for letters testamentary issued in a probate.

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com

This message is from an attorney, so it’s confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, it’s too late to stop reading this message, but you may not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.