[WSBAPT] Non citizen spouse - Washington Estate Tax

John J. Sullivan sullaw at comcast.net
Wed Sep 12 22:37:47 PDT 2018

Nestor:

The QDOT provisions of the federal and WA taxes are statutory and not dependent on either being a citizen of a treaty nation.

Don’t forget you only need a QDOT for the excess over the lifetime exemption of $11+ million for federal and $2.129 million for WA.

Also, consider whether survivor will return to country of origin, or move to another state, in which case it may make sense to pay a little tax on the first estate to avoid the restrictions of the QDOT and allow the noncitizen survivor to eliminate U.S. estate taxation by moving assets offshore.

John J. Sullivan

Sent from my iPad