[WSBAPT] community RE and deceased spouse

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Tue Sep 11 13:12:33 PDT 2018

Everyone does this differently. A couple of points.

1.	I have learned to want to do probates when the first spouse dies and real property is involved. They are relatively cheap, clean up everything going forward, and I have been doing this long enough to have seen too many changed circumstances of all sorts that wind up posing problems or little messes when the second one dies.
2.	When you need to deal with the second death, and an issue is real property, you may be able to work with a title company, if a sale is the point, and do a LOPA or whatever will satisfy them. But if you need a probate, you can, at least here and in other counties I have heard of, do a probate of the two estates under one cause number and get them done at the same time. This depends on a number of factors, including liens, debt, and so on.

	Always remember that the court that matters is often the title company, and make friends with at least one local title examiner if you can for when you need help.

Rob

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss
Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP
236 West Birch Street
Shelton, WA 98584
360 426-2999
www.hossandwilsonhoss.com
rob at hctc.com

This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or by telephone (call us collect at the number listed above) and immediately delete this message and any and all of its attachments.  Thank you.

THIS OFFICE DOES DEBT COLLECTION AND THIS E-MAIL MAY BE AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT, ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED WILL BE USED FOR THAT PURPOSE.  To the extent the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. § 1692) applies this firm is acting as a debt collector for the condominium/homeowners' association named above to collect a debt owed to it. Any information obtained will be used for collection purposes. You have the right to seek advice of legal counsel.