[WSBAPT] Does Ohio property require Washington probate?

jacyphers at gmail.com jacyphers at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 17:24:33 PDT 2018

What if she does nothing??
I see two issues.

Action to sell the farm.  I assume if she does nothing, then the farm might
be sold, which she has no objection to.
Just want to make sure she has no costs or expenses by doing nothing on that
action.

Issue #2 then is who gets the money from the sale of the farm.  If her
husband's estate would get its share,
that might possibly be resolved by an affidavit procedure in Ohio if they
have an affidavit procedure.

Have to be very careful with the disclaimer issue.
Whose law controls when the real property is in Ohio?  Washington disclaimer
law where husband died; or Ohio disclaimer law where real property is.
Assume they had no children so that is not an issue in the disclaimer law.
But does client's brother have children who would possibly take if client's
brother disclaims.

I do think you need to talk to an Ohio lawyer.
But am really curious as to what would happen if the widow does nothing.

Jackie Cyphers
Jeannette A. Cyphers, Attorney at Law
P. O. Box 908
Edmonds, WA 98020-0908
425-776-5887
fax 425-640-0814
jacyphers at gmail.com

We do not use encrypted email so this message is not secure and may not be
protected by attorney client privilege.  NOTE:  This email address is NOT
monitored 24/7.  If your matter requires prompt attention please call our
offices during business hours so we can discuss it with you and also discuss
timing.

This e-mail is intended for the exclusive use of the person or persons to
whom it is addressed. The Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC
Sections 2510-2521 applies to this e-mail. Unauthorized review of
distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by phone or reply e-mail. Do not disseminate this
e-mail and destroy the original e-mail and any copies.