[WSBAPT] seeking referral - neighbor dispute / potential restraining order

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Mon Oct 29 16:55:08 PDT 2018

Heather,

I handle antiharassment matters and I’d be happy to speak to your friend.

However, I would also suggest that before approaching the court for a
restraining order, that she consider a mediation with the Dispute
Resolution Center of King County.  The DRC only handles mediations if both
parties are willing to participate.  Especially if her neighbor has mental
health issues, a legal remedy could end up being meaningless- the neighbor
might just violate the restraining order.  So, a non-legal approach might
be a better option to start with. It certainly wouldn't make things worse.

If her neighbor isn’t willing to pay the modest fee charged by the Dispute
Resolution Center, then she may have no choice but to seek a legal remedy.
There is a dispute resolution center in most counties, but the contact
information for DRC of King County is:

4649 Sunnyside Ave N Ste 520, Seattle, WA 98103
Phone: (206) 443-9603

Many of the mediators are non-lawyers and in general, the idea is to
really try to focus on the interests of the parties (which we also hope to
do as lawyers but in the litigation setting, that can sometimes be lost.).

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101