[WSBAPT] Effect of Homestead

jeffrey winter jdwinter at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 15 13:30:06 PDT 2018

Listmates -- I am representing the H of a couple for his estate planning.  The home he and his wife reside in is just in his name...on his death, he wants it to go in trust, and W can live there rent free as long as it is maintained.  Most of the rest of his assets will  go into a marital deduction trust and/or a credit shelter trust, also for her benefit.

I had proposed a life estate in the house, but I believe she could still force a sale for the actuarial value of the place.  Then I wondered about whether she could claim homestead (or award in lieu thereof) and defeat the placement of the residence into a trust.

Any thoughts?

Jeff Winter

Law Office of Jeffrey D. Winter, P.S.
604 North Main Street
Ellensburg, WA 98926

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon>    Virus-free. www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>