[WSBAPT] is a successor of small estate entitled to bank statements and/ or wage stubs?

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Wed Oct 3 07:40:49 PDT 2018

Hello Andrekita,

I have not had this situation and I have not taken the time to research it but a few thoughts on the matter.  The small estate affidavit is very limited and I think the bank and employer have reasonable grounds to withhold this information.  It certainly is a reasonable filing position.  The bank itself probably has a contract which states they will not give out information to anyone other then the bank holder or their appointed representative (Letters Testamentary/Letters Administration).  The employer likely gave the 401(k) information out as it is not typically passed through an estate.  Lastly, you said she received a check from employer made payable to the Estate of…..this was premature on the companies part and likely will create the need for the estate to open a bank account just to cash.

Institutions are constantly practicing law in limited ways – right or wrong – your client’s best, most efficient course of action will be to open the probate –it will be a heck of a lot cheaper then the research time to determine the answer (which even if favorable would need to be followed up with legal letters, dialogue, etc all =$$) or f iling a complaint to determine the issue on financial disclosure under Small Estate Affidavit procedures.

I literally had a power of attorney rejected by an institution because they were not “specifically named” – that is the POA just referenced financial transactions.  Legally I knew they were wrong, practically speaking I knew it was more cost and time effective to deliver a new POA (thankfully we could still have one signed; my client was just elderly).

Best of luck,

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe, Attorney at Law
Douglas • Eden