[WSBAPT] Release of Lis Pendens

Mike Winslow mike at winslegal.com
Fri Nov 30 15:06:27 PST 2018

This is a weird one, so I am taking a stab at this based on my understanding
of guardianships, bond and intestate administration.

If the prior Lis Pendens included a copy of the court order in the
recording, then I would go back for a court order to release it because
that's what the title companies will likely require.
It may be in the nature of a comfort order. See below for when to do that.

A Lis Pendens is not a lien, but merely a Notice of Suit which creates a
"cloud" on title; nothing more. It is designed to make any potential buyer
wary because they take title with notice of other possible claims to title.

As I recall, if a guardianship is actually converted by court order to an
estate administration, then it seems to me that the order for the
administration post death would be controlling vis a vis non-intervention
powers; bond etc.  Thus if court orders no bond, that supersedes the prior
order.

If the party appointed to administer the estate post death is not required
to file a bond then the prior Lis Pendens is rendered moot and could be
terminated, without further order of the court.
If probate is subject to court supervision (no non-intervention powers),
then when the order of sale is processed the Lis Pendens could be addressed
at that time.

Hope that helps.

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com

This message is from an attorney, so it's confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, it's too late to stop reading this message, but you may
not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.