[WSBAPT] Inheritance as Separate Property in Rocky Marriage

Felicia Value felicia at skagitprobate.com
Tue Nov 20 15:12:59 PST 2018

In cases like this,  I've sometimes created a revocable trust for
inheriting spouse,  funded solely with the newly-inherited separate
property.   Creates a nice boundary around the SP,  and aggressive
spouse must take affirmative steps to challenge RLT after death,
whereas he has a ready-made forum if the assets are probated.
Explicitly state intent to pass trust assets to children only;
explicitly state intent to not benefit spouse; name stout trustees and
successor trustees;  perhaps give husband the house via a Will which
includes an in terrorum clause that's triggered by a challenge to the
trust;  and include language in the RLT like:

1.3TRUST PROPERTY.

1.3(a)_Separate Property Only_.I have transferred and delivered to the
trustee,without consideration,the property described on Schedule A, and
my trustee acknowledges receipt of this property.Although I am
married,this trust has been funded exclusively with my separate
property.It is my intent that all property of the trust shall retain its
character as my separate property, and it shall be presumed that all
assets of the trust are my separate property.If my spouse proves any
community property interest in any trust asset, that community property
interest shall be limited to the interest proved in that particular
asset, and shall not create a community property interest in any other
asset of the trust.

1.3(b)_Addition of Assets_.The trustee is authorized and empowered to
receive by gift or Will or otherwise any real or personal
property,securities,sums of money,proceeds of retirement plans,policies
of life insurance or other assets from the Settlor or any other person
or persons for the purposes of this Trust Agreement.However,at no time
may community property be added to this trust.Any asset added to the
trust shall be presumed to have become my separate property upon
acceptance.

Good luck!

Felicia

Felicia Value