[WSBAPT] Canada and Guardianship of Minor

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Tue Nov 6 20:48:46 PST 2018

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

.
                               November 6, 2018

Jenny,

I don’t know if anyone answered your question.

Fathers rights vary from country to country. However, in most Western
countries, the biological parents have the first natural right of
custody.  Washington has a law stating that the surviving parent has
the right of custody. ( even if we didn’t, the 1st amendment to the
Constitution grants this right). This, of course, is balanced against
laws that protect children. In certain circumstances, the state (CPS)
can  intervene and petition to remove a child from a biological
parent, or a third party can petition for custody, etc.

So, if one parent receives custody through a family law court order,
the other parent doesn’t lose their legal rights. If one parent dies,
it doesn’t matter if the primary (custodial) parent nominated someone
else – a third party – in their Will to be the child’s guardian. The
surviving biological parent becomes the custodial parent by operation
of law.

The person nominated as guardian would have to bring an action to be
named as the child’s custodian and they would need to establish the
basis for their claim just as they would have to do if both parents
were still living.

I am aware that this is also the case in Mexico and in England.  I’ve
never had a Canadian case but I suspect their law is not that
different than ours. If someone nominated someone to be guardian of
the child in their Will, and if an action were brought for any reason
– other party’s whereabouts unknown, other parent deceased, etc. ,
then the deceased biological parent’s wishes will be considered.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101