[WSBAPT] Improper Notification of Death

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Tue May 29 12:30:58 PDT 2018

I have a client dealing with something new to me, and don't know how to advise her.

Widow, in her late 70s, after burying her husband and making a claim with SS for survivor benefits, has had SS stop paying altogether, got a notice from Medicare that SHE was deceased and that her Medicare benefits were being discontinued. This trickled to her supplemental insurance provider (retiree benefit though husband's prior employer), and that coverage too, was initially cancelled (though we think now fixed).

Every time she calls, or shows up in person at a Social Security office, they confirm it is a problem, don't know how it happened, promise to fix it, but she is now going on 2 months of dealing with it, and can't seem to get any resolution. She isn't getting SS benefits, and doesn't appear to have any Medicare coverage either.

Any suggestions for how to get someone to pay attention and fix this. She is ready to call our senators offices, the news media, etc.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.