[WSBAPT] [elder-law-section] last will and testament witnesses/newbie question

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Thu May 24 15:01:00 PDT 2018

I agree with Cyrus’ comments.  I often (usually) witness wills.  If it is a sensitive situation, I use another attorney as the second witness, and we both have a conversation with the testator and take good notes.  If it is a very sensitive situation, I have two attorneys witness and I do not.  But we all have the conversation and take extensive notes.
If the will is contested, I usually get an experienced trust/estate litigator, and I am the star witness as the drafter and the person who had the most conversations with the testator.  It is difficult to set aside a will where the attorney took the precautions described above.  Of course, there are exceptions to that statement, but not many.
Phil Jones
Portland, OR