[WSBAPT] Creditor's Claim not filed with Court

James W. Spencer jamess at brothershenderson.com
Tue May 15 09:43:20 PDT 2018

Mr. Wilson-Hoss, et. al:

Thanks for pointing to some good case law. I ponder whether the Court has ever addressed the definition of “those beneficially interested in the estate.” It seems reasonable to deduce from Wilson that creditors would fall into that category. To see if there was any more guidance, I looked at the case cited therein, In re Estate of Shea, and found this passage: “the power of executors to manage and control an estate exists for the protection of creditors and for the purpose of paying expenses and other proper charges against the estate.” (emphasis theirs). Interestingly, I don’t see where the Court provides any authority for this conclusion.

If I were arguing it in court, I’d likely take the position that “protecting the rights of valid creditors” does not attach to “a fiduciary relationship to those beneficially interested in the estate”, but rather indicates an concession to valid creditors as to the PR “perform[ing] his duties…for the benefit of the legatees [and]…protect[ing] the estate from invalid and doubtful claims.”

Anybody have a good case? Let’s make some case law!

Best wishes,
James

James W. Spencer
Brothers & Henderson, P.S.
2722 Eastlake Avenue East, Suite 200
Seattle, Washington 98102
Phone: (206) 324-4300 x106
e-mail:  jamess at brothershenderson.com<mailto:jamess at brothershenderson.com>
www.brothershenderson.com<http://www.brothershenderson.com/>

The information transmitted in this e-mail message and attachments is attorney-client information, is privileged or confidential material and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you have received this transmission in error, immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete this transmission and all copies including attachments.