[WSBAPT] Interesting probate questions...

Christopher Small chris at cmslawfirm.com
Fri May 11 15:49:07 PDT 2018

Would love some ideas for how to proceed on this one. Here are the facts.

My firm was named as PR for an estate in order to get some real estate
sold. No non-intervention powers granted (as of right now). Family of
decedent is okay with us acting as PR. BUT, in the course of things, the
decedent's will was discovered. It names a daughter as PR BUT she is unable
to be the PR for medical reasons.

Here are my questions...

1. The will has been filed. Does that end our responsibility as PR? If it
does, will the probate now just sit open with no PR named (if we do not
re-petition the court)?

2. How do you serve an heir you can't find for purposes of requesting
non-intervention powers (a daughter is MIA - we tried last address, etc. to
no avail)?

I've tried working my way through the statutes and have some ideas of what
to do but would love any and all advice you all could give.

It's one of those cases where more and more strange things keep happening.

Thank you for your help!

Christopher Small
CMS Law Firm LLC <http://cmslawfirm.com>
150 Lake St. S., Suite 218
Kirkland, WA 98033
206.659.1512

Legal stuff I have to put in... *To ensure compliance with Treasury
Department and IRS regulations, we inform you that, unless expressly
indicated otherwise, any federal tax advice contained in this communication
(including any attachments) is not intended or written by CMS Law Firm LLC
to be used, and cannot be used by the taxpayer, for the purpose of: (i)
avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal
Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another
party any transaction or matter addressed herein (or any attachments).*