[WSBAPT] Creditor's Claim not filed with Court

Brent Williams-Ruth brent at bwrconsults.com
Fri May 11 12:04:02 PDT 2018

​The only authority that I have found, thus far, that discussed strict
construction of the statute is Villegas v. McBride 112 Wn. App 689 (2002).
The facts of that case, however, deal with the failure to describe the
debt, not the timing element. The court in Villegas does give me a little
love by holding that "[w]hen interpreting a statute, we look to the
Legislature's intent as reflected in the statutory language. We presume
that the Legislature means exactly what it says and, if a statute is
unambiguous, we derive its meaning from the statutory language alone."
(internal cites removed).

I would argue that the word "AND" is pretty unambiguous.

What I am faced with though is how hard will large insurance company push
back such that the legal fight could substantially drain the assets of the
estate.

If anyone is aware of specific authority (I've looked at the annotations
and notes of decision and even pulled a search from other appellate
briefing) that addresses the time bar element and/or the failure to both
file and mail - it would be much appreciated.

Brent