[WSBAPT] Senior Citizens refund sent to Bank

Josh Grant jgrant at accima.com
Thu Mar 22 10:43:12 PDT 2018

I have a client who applied and was granted a senior exemption for 2016.  To the client’s surprise, the County Treasurer’s Office , without notice, sent the  refund to a bank with a note to my client: “Please note: State Law requires us to send the refund back to the person or Mortgage Companies whom have paid that year’s property tax”. No citation of a statute.
Assuming there is such a statute, has anyone had any luck claiming a re-refund to client from Mortgage Companies (servicer) where the obligation is no longer legally collectible?  The facts of this case were unusual.  We prevailed on a judicial foreclosure action where the court ruled that my client,   was not liable for the secured debt and title was quieted in favor of my client.  During the 3 years of litigation, we repeatedly told the bank “don’t pay the taxes”.   They paid them anyway and so I can see why they may feel entitled to the refund.

Josh

Joshua F. Grant, PS
Attorney at Law
P. O. Box 619